Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Quit


I Quit! Sometimes as a Mommy I want to quit....well for just a little while anyway. Those days where it starts at midnight with multiple awakenings by the kids every hour until they fully awake at 6 a.m. full of energy, raring to go, while I slog through the morning trying not to fall asleep while playing endless block stacking. Those days where the whining is in fever pitch and that it is so bad I start whining. Those days that I actually turn to caffeine instead of decaf. Where I would like to go to the gym, but the whole idea of changing clothes, getting in the car and going just tires me. The day where getting on my bike makes me want to cringe.

Well today I quit! Or wish I could. But snotty noses have to be wiped. Teething babies need to be comforted. And meals need to be made. I remember my mom used to yell this same thing sometimes, "I QUIT!" Then she'd leave the room. Of course I totally had forgotten this, until this morning when I wanted to shout it at the top of my lungs, walk out the front door, and not come back until I had had some sort of caffeine laced chocolate ice cream concoction. I had a very clear memory then. Poor mom, she made it look soooo easy, or maybe I was just a rude clueless kid.

Hubby thought he was being funny when I went out to get the paper in my bathrobe and PJ's and he shut and locked the door. I yelled back, "I don't think you want to do that today, cause I'll just keep going. I don't care how I look." Plus my neighbor is out of town, I have the code to her garage, and she has told me that I am welcome to come and sit in her house and enjoy the quiet. Let me tell you, her house looked mighty inviting this morning.

Today, I wanted to say the words, "Goblin King, Goblin King, come take these children away from me." But really, I don't want my kids to be taken away, I want to get away, or be taken away to someplace far far away, for just a little while. If you've seen the movie "Date Night", Tina Fey's character admits that no, she has never thought about cheating on her husband, but she does fantasize about going to a hotel room, sitting in nothing but quiet solitude for a couple hours, and just enjoying a cold Sprite. Now I know I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment